Visit to Mango Tree Trust in India
December 12, 2016
Himanshu Bhatia recently became a member of the Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council (SPLC). The SPLC is a non-profit organization whose mission is to support and recognize purchasing leadership that accelerates the transition to a prosperous and sustainable future.
During a recent trip to India, Himanshu Bhatia spent a day at Mango Tree Trust, a children's charity in Goa, India. This organization supports about 170 disadvantaged children daily, Monday through Friday. Mango Tree Trust offers the following to children in need:
- A registered pre-primary school for children ages 3-6, preparing them to enter conventional school in the following years.
- Afternoon school classes for older children who currently attend conventional school. After their regular school day is complete, the children go to Mango Tree for lunch and afternoon classes.
- A full-time nurse who visits with the older and younger children to help with health and hygiene. Parents are notified of any medical issues and costs of medical treatment are covered.
- Nutritious meals served to all children and delivered meals to children who are unable to attend.
- Celebration of all religious festivals and national days in India and monthly birthday parties.
- School administration and support to assist families with local school enrollment.
- A children's bank to encourage learning the value of money and saving towards a goal.
- Distribution of donated, second-hand clothes and toys.
Learn more at: http://www.mangotreegoa.org/MangoHouse.htm.